I have never started a poem yet whose end I knew.
Writing a poem is discovering.
-Robert Frost
The children in GSt have been doing a lot of discovering about poetry. They have been reading and listening to poems, writing them, watching them being performed and illustrating them, too. The buzz in the class has been infectious!
It all started when I read a few poems early this week. The children loved them and promptly asked when they could write their own!
It was interesting to find out what they children already knew. As it turns out, they brought a lot of prior knowledge to the topic of poetry. I recorded what the children said, and think that this list is quite impressive! We have since added to it, and will continue to do so.
It is wonderful to see the children so excited about poetry. Some are working with friends while others are working alone. All of them have been engaged in reading, writing and illustrating poems. Their topics are so varied, from flowers to family to Plants Vs Zombies. :)
Sharing their work with each other has been a highlight each day. Since writers learn from each other, it has been motivating to hear what the poets in our class have been writing.
The results, after just a few days, have already been impressive. I'll end with a powerful poem written by Myla.
Reminders:
- Student-Led Conferences are on Wednesday. The timings were sent home in blue folders earlier this week. Please come to school with your child at your scheduled time.
- If you haven't returned your child's portfolio, please do so as soon as possible. Thanks!













No comments:
Post a Comment